Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weekly Update

Reading and listening my way through two novels and an anthology is rewarding; I find time to put aside a book and think about it before continuing to read. I appreciate the opportunity to treasure each book a bit more.

Dodger by Terry Pratchett - Less than 100 pages to go.  In addition to Charles Dickens, the novel has added Benjamin Disraeli as a character involved in the mystery of the young woman, born of English parents, and married to a German prince.  Politics is involved.  I suspect this mystery female character will become an actual historical person.

New American Review 11 - More than halfway through this anthology.  A poem by Alex Wiggins moved me and am trying to locate the author.  I believe he is living in San Francisco.  Another short story sadly is still relevant today.  Currently I'm reading an essay on Samuel Beckett.  My final report on this "paperback magazine" will include titles and authors I found memorable.

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom is a better story than I expected.  References to the fever epidemic of 1793 in Philadelphia have added another layer to the quality.  It is not the typical story of a southern plantation.  The two narrators add to the first person point of view.

I expect to finish reading/listening to the two novels this week and will post again.

No comments:

Post a Comment