Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Good Omens...yes, indeed.

I first read this novel sometime earlier in this century but have not had the time to check my records for an accurate date.  It was a gift from Bob & Cris Riedel who just said, "Read it."  I did and have loved the works of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett ever since.  What brought me back to this particular book for a second read?  World Book Night, a wonderful program that began in England and provides books to be distributed to people who do not usually read.  This is the first year I am participating.  There are specific books available and when signing up, participants may give three choices.  I do not remember my two other choices; I am thrilled to be sharing Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

I do not give away plot in my reviews, but attempting to sum up this novel would be particularly difficult.  What I love is the humor and the way both Gaiman and Pratchett play with language.  Here's the copy from the back cover:  "We hear the world will end on a Saturday.  Next Saturday, in fact.  Just before dinner.  Unfortunately, Sister Mary Loquacious of the Chattering Order has misplaced the Antichrist.  The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride motorcycles. And the representatives from Heaven and Hell have decided they actually like the human race..."

If you are not laughing yet, how about this warning on the copyright page:
CAVEAT
Kids!  Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.
Do not attempt it in your own home.

The humor in the writing may stem from Terry Pratchett; I reviewed his newest novel, Dodger, here in my entry of 20 January 2013.  Neil Gaiman has, in my limited experience, a darker creativity: The Graveyard Book and Coraline.  So if you have not yet experienced either of these authors, why not start with a novel that gives you a taste of both?  You will not be disappointed.

Gaiman, Neil and Pratchett, Terry. Good Omens. New York: Ace Books, 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment