Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What has my attention this week?


As I have not finished reading any book in the past week, this will be a brief update on what I am reading.

I am listening to Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  This book has been on my list of books to read since it was published in 2005, so when I saw it on the shelf at the library, the decision was an easy one.  Team of Rivals is really a biography of all the men who, although rivals of Lincoln prior to his presidency, served on his cabinet.  The writing is marvelous; the topic is fascinating; the narrator is excellent.  I think there are 36 CDs and would like to finish it by the end of the month. 

For those times when lighter reading is needed Woe Is I – The Grammarphobe’s Guide to Better English in Plain English by Patricia T. O’Conner has proven to be a good choice.  I enjoy reading about writing and am always on the lookout for better teaching strategies.

The novel of choice is Red Dog, Red Dog by Patrick Lane.  Lane is a Canadian poet and novelist.  I will be posting a review of this novel soon, as I am about 100 pages from finishing.

And be watching for my upcoming appreciation of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment